Wednesday, October 5, 2005

No Food for you!!! (Atleast when the sun is out)

Today is the first day of Ramadan. So Happy Ramadan/Ramadan Mubarak/Ramadan Kareem to everyone who is celebrating this blessed month. My friends who do not celebrate Ramadan usually feel sorry for me during this month, since I cannot eat or drink anything from sunrise to sunset.
Friend: What's that sound?
Ozair: Ohh, that is my stomach growling.
Friend: Why don't you eat now?
Ozair: Cannot, I am fasting today.
Friend: So you cannot eat anything, wow that is rough, just drink a lot of water while your fasting.
Ozair: Cannot drink water either when fasting
Friend: Really ? Man, that is tough, I feel sorry for you.
So yes, when Muslims are fasting, they cannot eat or DRINK from sunrise to sunset. I don't see fasting as a burden, I think of it as more of an opportunity to become more conscience of God, do good deeds, and forget about our worldly problems. I think most Muslims agree that they suffer from the y=-x^2 imaan problem. Let me illustrate this point with the following graph. If you recall your basic grade 12 Math, you should notice this graph is an upside down parabola. It describes my imaan problem.
The y-axis represents my imaan level, and the x-axis represents the months in the year starting from the month of Ramadan. The first point on this graph represents my faith level level right-before Ramadan. As I progress through Ramadan, my faith level increases quadratically, until it hits its maximum level at the center of the graph when Ramadan ends. After Ramadan, my imaan level drops back down until Ramadan occurs again in the following year.
Inshallah (God-willing), I will take advantage of this month, do the good stuff and keep it up for the rest of the year. Who knows maybe next year I will use a different graph to illustrate my imaan level.

6 comments:

Ali said...

May Allah bless this month for us and for you.

omair quadri said...

Ramadan Mubarak!

i like your use of a graph to illustrate the rise and fall of your imaan.

My graph would look different though. i would probably peak at the end of the first week, and slowly but gradually fall until the last 10 days when my imaan would rise again. Then after Eid there would be a sudden drop and i would level off until the next Ramadan, of course. Hopefully that won't be the case this year though.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS GRADE 11 MATH!

Bilal Shirazi said...

What about cosine?

Ozair said...

The Cosine graph is the worst type of imaan graph. It means that your imaan level peaks before Ramadan. During Ramadan, your imaan level decreases until it is over and then increases again. If such a person exists, I highly recommend he seek religious counseling or perhaps do the 40 days.

The closest graph that I can think of for Omair is the sine graph. It goes up (first 10 days), down (next 10 days) and back up again (last 10 days).

I hope my imaan level graph becomes a y=x^(1/2) (square root). Always going up!!!

(sigh) This is what happens when you get a Math degree.

Hafsa said...

(sigh) This is what happens when you get a Math degree.

lol