Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Tourist Athlete

Last week I was fortunate enough to spend three days in Vancouver, BC and two days in Whistler, BC. These two cities without a doubt are the most beautiful places I have ever visited. It is good reason that these cities were chosen as the location for the 2010 Winter Olympic games. There is so much I could talk about, but will just mention some points briefly.

Good

Weather: I was fortunate enough that it did not rain at all during the week. The weather and air quality is amazing. Imagine a light fan following you around the city with a nice breeze, that is how I felt.

Scenery: Spectacular mountains as you enter the city and a gorgeous waterfront. I had the chance to take a ferry to Vancouver Island from Vancouver and toured around Victoria, BC.

Bad

Homeless people: Vancouver has a serious homeless problem. It is a lot more evident than Toronto. If you ever visit, avoid East Hasting street, people are openly doing drugs, although there is a police station across the street from them.

Real Estate: The most expensive place to live in Canada.

Random

As I waited for my ferry from Vancouver Island to Vancouver, I ran into a friend from Waterloo also on vacation with his family. Talk about small world and coincidence. I will leave it to my readers to guess that person.

Pictures

My panoramic pictures that I assembled (click on picture to view full image):
  • View of Rocky Mountains half-way up Whistler mountain

  • View of Rocky Mountains at top of Whistler mountain
  • View of Rocky Mountains from Vancouver beach

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was Arshad who done met you on your trip to Vancouver... !!!

Ozair said...

You are correct! ... As they say "small world". I would be curious to hear other stories of meeting people in the strangest of places.

Peter Thurley said...

Ozair,

The moutains you saw from Vancouver and Whistler were not the Rocky Mountains. The Rockies are along the BC-Alberta border. The ones seen in the Vancouver/Whistler area are a part of the Cascade mountain range.

Those are some fantabulous pictures, I really miss Vancouver - I grew up in the area.

As for your comment about the homelessness... I remember as a youth, going to the East Side to do BBQ's and the like with my church. The lineups were long, and the conversations had with the people were amazing. I was so sad to see them in their poverty. It was those times that gave me a heart for Canada's poor.

Ozair said...

Thanks Peter for the compliments on the pictures. You can check out the remaining photos that I took in Vancouver here.

I always thought the mountains in Vancouver were the Rocky mountains. In-fact other tourists I talk to also thought the same. I guess people get confused with Banff, Alberta, which I am sure are the Rocky mountains.

The homeless problem in Vancouver is more problematic than any other city that I have visited. I have read that Calgary is started to face the same problem as it expands. It just seems the divide between rich and poor is getting larger, especially when hearing the report of the 400 richest people in the world are all billionaires.