Saturday, March 3, 2007

The office


One of my favorite all-time movies is the Office Space, a story about the day-to-day lives of office employees. Many issues common to office workplaces are discussed and explored. Recently, a comedic series called The Office staring Steve Carell, (who is brilliant in the show) also discusses the office politics of employees. My office environment is fairly tamed compared to the afore mentioned television show and movie, however, recently I came across an office-space like situation that I want to vent about.

Every office has printers that employees use to print documents. Most often employees abuse these resources. The frustrating part of this misuse is the impact on our environment. We waste so much paper on a daily basis. I have witnessed people printing most of their e-mails frequently. My biggest caveat is the printing of unnecessary colour documents. A single colour document can cost an average of $1.00 per paper. Last week, I went into the printer room to pickup my colour print job and had to wait till someone elses 30 slide PowerPoint presentation finished printing. After realizing the print job would take another 10 minutes, I left the printer room in disgust. I went back to my desk and started working again. This time, I struggled to get staples into my stapler ... arggg, just another day at work.

I could not find a "clean" The Office/Office space moment to relate to my blog post, sooooo here is a random video from The Office.

4 comments:

syacoob said...

I'm sorry it must seem like I'm hijacking your blog these days...feel free to hijack mine...

I know what you mean about the printing thing, happens to me at the library all the time. The person ahead of me always seems to be printing their entire set of course notes...

the office and office space are great. this is my all time fav. the office clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-5tlE_KCM

Ozair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ozair said...

No worries about the comments, it is always nice to know that there are people reading my blog instead of the few regulars, and can relate their life to television shows.

I do agree ... that is the best The Office clip, I actually saw the full episode and there were some really funny moments with the Indian character that in most offices would get them fired ... That episode should have the "older kids, do not do this at home" disclaimer.

Anonymous said...

I thought I'm the only person who has problems with adding staples at work. Glad to know that I'm not alone. To make you feel better, I can tell you this. I was only able to add staples successfully ONCE in the past 3 years, and the success can't be repeated anymore. No wonder we need to hire someone to add staples for us.

- your friend at work