Sunday, August 19, 2007

Singapore!

After spending the weekend in Hong Kong, I flew over to Singapore where I spent a week taking in the sites, culture and people. I had a fabulous experience in Singapore, the people, food, and scenery was extraordinary. The people of Singapore are comprised of three main ethnicities: Chinese, Indian and Malay. The business language is English (British), which everyone speaks with an accent and has been jokingly referred to as “Singlish”. The reason people have an accent is due to the fact they do speak their native tongue at home and only speak English to communicate with other nationalities or in the workplace.

The three words I would use to describe my Singapore experience are food, shopping and cleanliness.

I had no problems finding Halal places to eat since there are many Malay cuisines which observe the Halal dietary restriction. I had a chance to eat Korean BBQ, Nasi Lemak and Nasi Goring, the latter two dishes are Indonesian/Malay. At the site where I was working, I even ate roti at lunch, something that people avoid at workplaces in North America.

The people of Singapore love to shop. It is an industrialized country and people work extremely hard for their living, sometimes too hard, according to the local taxi drivers. You can usually get a pulse of a nation through its taxi drivers.

Singapore is an extremely clean country; a common perception of Singapore in the West. Spitting and chewing gum is banned in public. In-fact, you cannot buy gum in the country unless you need it for medical reasons. A fruit called Durian is banned in public due to its extreme smell.

Singapore is an expensive place to live. The majority (80%) of the people live in flats, only the elite can afford houses. Foreign cars are almost 2-3 times the price found in North America and the government does not allow cars older than 10 years on the road.

Other places of note that I visited was the Night Safari, Singapore Harbour (Clark quay), and Little India (it really felt like India). I did not take my usual number of pictures since I spent most of my time with colleagues from work, but I was still able to sneak in a few. You can check them out here.


8 comments:

Hafsa said...

wow. I'd like to see India that clean (talk about positive thinking :D)

Din said...

Roti for lunch rocks! Ozair we should meet up one day..

Anonymous said...

There are people that need gum for medical purposes?

Ozair said...

I stand corrected on the chewing gum ban ... see here.
However, it seems that chewing gum is still frowned upon by the government. See the bottom of the article for the comment on gum with prescription, people like to chew gum for dental reasons.

Hammad, we should meet up! ... if not pre-Ramadan then post Ramadan.

Anonymous said...

why don't you want to meet Hammad in Ramadan?

Ozair said...

lol ... I guess we could meet, but my entire social scene shuts during Ramadan :)

Humairah Irfan said...

You've been tagged!
http://odd-wisdom.blogspot.com/2007/09/books-all-over-place.html

Anonymous said...

woah.. i like, i like!