Saturday, November 24, 2007

Choices

Like most working folks, my morning routine involves the consumption of coffee. I was downtown for work last week near Yonge and Church street and as you can see from the picture, I had to make a choice between Starbucks and Tim Hortons. Both places were directly across from one another.

As I walked towards the intersection, I observed the people who had purchased coffee. People in suits or dressy office clothes had Starbucks coffee, while the casually dressed person had Tim Hortons. I concluded this observation with the following thoery: Starbucks is for the social elite and Tim Hortons is for the average worker.

As I finally arrived at the intersection, I made the decision to head towards Starbucks (the line was shorter and the workers are nicer too). Now, I am not even close to looking like a social elite, but if I ever want to become one, a good start would be to look and do the actions of one :)

7 comments:

Hafsa said...

interesting observation :)

There's no timmies in India :(

Din said...

WHat if there was a Second cup and cofee time at the intersection as well?

Humairah Irfan said...

aaaaaaaaaaah.... you've no idea how many times I've been to that Tim Hortons!

When I started working, I had "upgraded" from Tim Hortons to Second Cup. Then I changed jobs, and @ TCP, my colleagues were CRAZY about Tim Hortons. I'd tag along sometimes.
Tim Hortons has always been for the average crowd. Ozair, I don't think you try to join the social elite :)

okay, back to my Shariah class :P

oh.. Hammad, I personally think Coffee Time is substandard.

Anonymous said...

Starbucks is too strong for my taste and Tim Hortons is also so Canadian. So I would always walk into a Tims rather than Starbucks!

Ozair said...

I agree with Humairah, I'm not a big coffee time fan either, I would rather drink instant coffee than 'coffee time' coffee ... lol. I'm not a big Second Cup person either, although its Canadian, its not corporate enough for me .. hehe.

I have always been a die hard Timmy's supporter, but when I spent a week in the US and drank Starbucks, I realized that Timmy's coffee uses the cheapest type of coffee and is not that great, it's just addicting.

Sheepoo, technically, Timmy's is not Canadian as it is owned by Wendy's, an American company, but I guess it's a Canadian brand. Although when I arrive back into Canada from a trip, I feel like the kids in the Timmy's commercial when I have my first Timmy's cup.

one of those crazy moslems said...

The CEO of Starbucks supports Israel (because a coffee shop in & of itself cannot have a foreign policy) and Tim Horton's believes fair trade is fruitless and therefore refuses to participate. Hmm, another dalailemma I guess.

Anonymous said...

I used to work there, and my fav coffee in the area was at Marche in the basement..