Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Art of Bargaining

I visited Battery park in Manhattan last week searching for some bargains. I was never the best negotiator of deals, usually settling for the advertised price. So, I instead observed my friends as they bargained with the street vendors for some fake designer goods. Here was the conversation that occurred.
Friend: How much for that item.
Street vendor: $45
Friend: $45 ? ... I will give you $20.
Street vendor: No mon, I cannot do that, you crazy man.
Friend: I talked to the vendor a few stalls down and he was giving me that same item for $20.
Street vendor: Brutha, I cannot do that deal.
Friend: That's fine, I will just go to the other vendor and purchase it.
Street vendor: aight, aight, give me $20.
The three lessons that I learned from this conversation were:

1) Starting bargaining at half the initial price and work up.
2) Use the "The other vendor is giving me that same item for that price" line .
3) Act like you have nothing to lose, the vendor is the one who is losing the sale.

Use this advice at your own risk, don't be spamming me if it doesn't work.

3 comments:

Ali said...

That vendor is weak! He should learn a few things from the storekeepers in the bazaars of the Middle East and Pakistan. With all due respect to your baragaining strategy, I don't think it's going to work in places like Pakistan.

-Hasan said...

Seriously, that IS weak! A Pakistani vendor would laugh while looking the other way to make your buddy look stupid. Then he'd give you some money and tell you to go to that other vendor and grab him 10 or 15 of those items.

Ozair said...

LOL ... funny comments.

This conversation does not give full justice to the hardcore bargaining that occured. The facial expressions and body language displayed by my friend was quite remarkable ... to the Pakistani or middle eastern vendors ... I say bring it!!!