Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Counting sheep does not work



I have had sleeping problems for the past few years, never been able to get a consistent 8-10 hours on sleep even on the weekends. I would consider myself a sensitive sleeper; almost any sound during the night would wake me up and anyone could easily wake me up. During Ramadan, it has become even more difficult to get a decent number of hours of sleep, since suhoor is late enough in the morning that I cannot go back to sleep before work starts and evening prayers go late into the night. Fasting has also caused me to give up coffee during the day, which I heavily depend on to do any serious thinking.

The mornings at my house are not the best sleeping environment for anyone. I get woken up daily from my dad talking on the phone. Whenever my dad talks on the phone, we can hear him anywhere in the house. When he calls overseas to talk to my cousins, his phone volume increase even more. As loud as he talks, I don't think they need a phone to hear him :).

Even the smallest sounds can wake me up. You would think that there was a thunderstorm happening after hearing my dad or brother sneeze. I admit to also having inherited this loud sneezing. I have noticed that all desi's inherit the loud or unique sneeze. As you grow older, so does the sound of your sneeze.

Recently, I have been coming home late, hanging out and playing games with friends from my university days. Since the next day is the weekend, I am able to sleep-in, but my mom has always got mad at me for sleeping-in too late; due to my fear, I end up waking up early with little sleep even though I have the opportunity to sleep-in.

I have read that there are may health risks if you do not get enough sleep, so I am starting to worry about it much more. My lack of sleep could also be an indication of my lifestyle; working long hours and stressing too much. I should probably stop worrying about my problems and relax. This quote could be the solution to my sleeping problem.
Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in [Evan Davis]

6 comments:

innerpart said...

sad to hear that you have sleepless night lately...try to relax yourself..perhaps you may play some soft music before you sleep...that work on me..not sure on you or ..i really hope it will...

Ali said...

I have this pseudo-paranoia or phobia whatever you want to call it of not being able to fall asleep in public, when I know people can see me. I've been trying to get over that one.

Then I'm sensitive to noise, light, people, and finally, I have a hard time getting up if I haven't had enough sleep. This last bit is problematic because I've missed many classes through university because of it.

And, if I do manage to get up not having slept enough, my entire day is practically wasted. Coffee or no coffee, I can't get myself out of this tired, lazy mode and no work can get done.

By the way, it's sheep, not sheeps. Maybe that's why you can't sleep - you're counting wrong!

Bilal Shirazi said...

if your serious about your problem you could always get your doctor to get you into a sleep study to see why your so sensitive

Ozair said...

LOL, thanks for the correction Ali, never knew sheep was plural. So how would you refer to a single sheep?

I have tried reading books to get me to sleep, especially boring computer books, but it does not work. My mind has gotten used to reading boring books at work. I tried listening to soft music, but it gives me a headache.

Ali, for someone who finds it hard to get up, the last thing you should be worried about is sleeping in public. Did all those students sleeping in SLC scar you from sleeping in public?

I was thinking about seeing a doctor to discuss my sleeping problems. I remember Omair participated in a sleep study in university where he did not sleep for an extended period of time. I am a bit apprehensive cause he sleeps too much now ;-)

omair quadri said...

Actually, it wasn't a sleep study. It was for the school of Optometry at Waterloo. I had to sleep wearing contacts, and when I awoke in the morning, they did all these weird tests on my eyes, beaming lights and lazers, making me stare at things, asking me if "a" was better or "b" was better, "1" or "2", "is this clear or is this clear?". Also, they made me sleep on one of those air mattresses; those things suck.

More to the point, do you sleep in complete darkness? I find that when it is pitch-black in my room, I can't get to sleep. But, when there is some light from somewhere (a nightlight, the hallway light) coming into the room, I fall asleep right away, and stay asleep. I don't know, try it.

Ozair said...

Thanks for the advice Omar. I found that the days I worked out, I fell asleep a lot easier. Since I am sitting in-front of a computer for the whole day, I am in need of some sort exercise.