Saturday, October 15, 2005

I am Canadian!!!

"I am Canadian" was a successful series of commercials that aired a few years ago advertising the Molson Canadian beer slogan "I am Canadian", which interestingly has been retired in favor of "It starts here". This commercial consisted of an average Canadian named Joe, giving a speech on what it meant to be Canadian and clarifying common stereotypes of Canadians, especially certain aspects that are confused with American culture. This commercial spawned many copy-cat, but also ignited a reserved sense of patriotism in Canadians.

Now, before you go off and tell your friends that I have become corrupt since I am talking about beer on my blog ... RELAX!!!. Keep eating your somosa and chutney and let me get to the point.

Hockey is a part of Canada culture, growing up in Canada you cannot avoid talking, playing or watching hockey. The National Hockey League (NHL) recently came back from a one year lockout to the amusement of many Canadian hockey fans. As angry as we were during the lockout, we were all happy to have hockey back. To improve the quality of the game, the NHL introduced new rule changes to increase scoring and add more excitement. It has definitely made a difference as I am enjoying hockey like never before. The most exciting part of this NHL season for me is going to be watching Sidney Crosby.


Sidney Crosby nicknamed "Sid the kid" is the most anticipated rookie player in recent memory. This 18 year-old will be a player to watch for many years and teaming up with the legendary Mario Lemieux for the Pittsburgh Penguins should help him make the ease into super-stardom. If your not a sports fan and only know the popular athletes like Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky, I recommend you also add Sidney Crosby to that list, eh.

3 comments:

Din said...

Go Flames!

Anonymous said...

Quit your job and be a writer. Listen to Kim....mama knows child mama knows.

Ozair said...

Thanks for the props Kim. Only if you were around when I has in high school, you could have given similar shout-outs in front of my english teachers ... such playa haters.