Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Free will vs Destiny

A month ago, I had a conversation with a Muslim friend of mine who was trying to grasp the concept of God and the relationship between a persons action and God's knowledge of those actions. My friend believes in the first kalimah, but asks a common question that we hear a lot from people trying to understand the role of God in their life.

Why should we be good if God knows the outcome of our actions?
I am not a expert on Islam nor philosophy, but I still tried to answer that question using my mediocre Islamic knowledge and inadequate philosophy expertise. To me, this question comes down to the concept of free will and destiny. Some might argue that individuals do not possess free will because God knows the outcome of our actions. However, I believe human beings possess free will, but the outcome of that decision is still known by God. It is the training of our hearts that enables us to make a right decision over a wrong one. My friend remained unconvinced, and I could not add substance to my argument. Also, it was dark and I was hungry so we ended the conversation here.

Reading the following verse from the Quran a few days ago reminded me of that same conversation I had with my friend.

Behold, as for those of you who turned away [from their duty] on the day when the two hosts met in battle - Satan caused them to stumble only by means of something that they [themselves] had done.* But now God has erased this sin of theirs: verily, God is much-forgiving, forbearing. [3: 155]
I found the following explanation of this verse:

Satan's influence on man is not the primary cause of sin but its first consequence. In moments of moral crisis, a person is influenced based on his state of mind to choose the easier, and more pleasant, of the alternatives open to him, and thus to become guilty of a sin, whether by commission or omission.

Thus, God's "causing" a person to commit a sin is conditional upon the existence, in the individual concerned, of an attitude of mind which makes him prone to commit such a sin.
This explanation does not contradict what I told my friend. Man possesses free will and has the ability to make a choice between two or more possible courses of action. However, God knows the outcome of all actions, because he is Al-Aleem.

He knows everything in the heavens and the earth, and He knows everything you conceal and everything you declare. God is fully aware of the innermost thoughts. [64:4]

I pray that God forgives me if I have said something incorrect. If you know of a better explanation, I would be interested in reading it.

I should schedule another session with my friend to give a better explanation, this time it will be during the day with a full stomach.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm i wonder if i know this person

Din said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Din said...

Good explanation Ozair.

Another point :

Allah was the one who created our free will.

Also since Allah is beyond time and space so we cant use terms like " past, present and future " or "where he is" when talking about him.

The more knowledgable ppl who visit your blog can afirm this inshah allah.

:-)

Faray said...

Assalam u Alaikum,
I find your post very interesting. Mash'allah, you made very good points And I believe that is the case, We have free will unlike angels thus we should be good.
I would like to add something :) Insh'allah, that, if we think about it, All our actions are preordained right.. why would we be rewarded for something that we didnt decide to do in the first place?. However, our 'Intentions' are not preordained, and we are the soul leaders of our intentions, this is what Sheikh Nuh says. So Insh'allah on the Day of reckoning we will be asked about our intentions not our actions. Our Intentions are eternal like Allah Swt, and they will last till that day. Our intentions should be that no matter how long we live, all our actions will be for Allah (Swt). Insh'allah, just like 'Shajarah Mubarakah', the Olive tree which has been extant since the time of the Prophet Sallaualaihiwa'alihiwasahbihi wassalam, and even before that. The olive tree has been giving olives since the beginning of time, and Insh'allah our neah is that we always worship Allah (Swt) till the end of our time. Ameen.

Insh'allah same as what you said I pray I have not made a mistake. If I have, please be gentle with me as I am the daughter of Adam.
Insh'allah Only Allah gives success.
Wassalam u Alaikum,
Fariha

Faray said...

Ok, :) so can I say we will be judged according to our intentions?,
I think this is what I understood from the Sheikh, that Our actions are From Allah Swt but we will be judged for our Intentions, That was I think in his Second durus in verginia. Insh'allah.

Faray said...

So intentions are Preordained? ..

Ozair said...

Don't worry Saqib, its no one you know, but I know who you were thinking of :)

Anonymous said...

The Prophet (SAW) said, "Allah ordered (the appointed angels over you) that the good and the bad deeds be written, and He then showed (the way) how (to write). If somebody intends to do a good deed and he does not do it, then Allah will write for him a full good deed (in his account with Him); and if he intends to do a good deed and actually did it, then Allah will write for him (in his account) with Him (its reward equal) from ten to seven hundred times to many more times: and if somebody intended to do a bad deed and he does not do it, then Allah will write a full good deed (in his account) with Him, and if he intended to do it (a bad deed) and actually did it, then Allah will write one bad deed (in his account)."
(Bukhari)

This hadith shows how Merciful Allah (swt) is to His slaves. After all He did create us and loves us more than anybody else on this planet. Allah (swt) is the Most Knowledgeable, there is no knowledge that escapes Him, no action that is hidden from Him, and everything that happens in this world is according to His Will.

Our actions are judged by our intentions, so if we intended to harm somebody and, by the mercy of Allah (swt), something good happened to the person, then we will not be rewarded for that good thing because that was not our intention in the first place. It's extremely important that we constantly purify our intention, or else we may be doing good to others without even getting the reward for it. Our intention should always be that whatever we do, we do for the Pleasure of Allah (swt).

The Prophet (saw) said: "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for." (Bukhari)

Ozair said...

Well said Anonymous, Jazakallah for the explanation. I remember reading and hearing that hadith numerous times, but I never recalled it when talking to my friend or when I wrote that post.

I have hesitated to further comment on this post cause I am not an expert on this topic. Also, I remember reading that it is not good to focus too much on topics that are hard for us to comprehend. It may lead to us doubting certain things in our faith.

I hope inshallah that we all live with taqwa in our lives so that we have the intention to perform the good deed.