Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Good Samaritan or Fool ?


A few days ago at work, I was walking down the hall and found a $5 bill right outside the door. I looked around to see if someone had dropped it, but there was no one around. Since I found the bill right outside a door of another room, I thought that perhaps someone in that room had dropped that bill.

I walked into the room with the sole purpose of asking someone if they had dropped any money. I saw a shady looking man picking up some print-outs from the printer. I stared at him, but hesitated to ask him, but I felt awkward standing in the room with a $5 bill, so I eventually asked the man.

The man checks his pocket like he had a million bucks missing and answers "Yes", he did lose money. At this point, I was unconvinced but he had already seen the bill so I decided to give him the money anyways.

As I walked out of that room, I felt like I got played. I am sure that guy must think I am the biggest idiot to believe that stunt he pulled.

This situation, like many in my life, reminded me of a Seinfeld episode. It was the series finale, where Jerry, George and Elaine witness the robbery of a fat guy, which they all mock and Kramer videotapes. They are arrested under the Good Samaritan law established by the town.

After witnessing the robbery, a police officer pulls up to the group:
Officer: You're under arrest.
Jerry: Under arrest? What for?
Officer: Article 223-7 of the Latham County Penal Code.
Elaine: What? No, no - we didn't do anything.
Officer: That's exactly right. The law requires you to help or assist anyone in danger as long as it's reasonable todo so.
George: I never heard of that.
Officer: It's new. It's called the Good Samaritan Law. Let's go.
Maybe I should not have done nothing in my situation too, no good Samaritan Law exists in Toronto. I could have taken that money and donated it to charity or something. I tried to do the good Samaritan thing, but maybe I was a fool, you can be the judge.

7 comments:

Mi55 Bear said...

Yeah, somehow you did get a little too convinced in that situation. What you need is some more simulation practices. When you see the next $5 bill next time, think THRICE!! (Others, twice be just fine)

Thanks to the good souls out there, coz I did drop my wallet TWICE on campus and had it returned forturnately at the end. Glad it wasn't Ozair who picked it up, otherwise it would have never make to the Lost-and-Found office.

Whuzza said...

Even if you had gave the bill to the wrong person, you might have inspired him to pay it forward and help someone else. If it makes you feel better, just donate 5 bucks to charity yourself.

I would always choose to be the "fool" instead of being selfish.

omair quadri said...

I heard on the radio today that a Muslim cabby in L.A. found a bag of diamonds left in his cab by a passenger. He tracked the guy down and found out he was a jeweller from New York. The cabby returned the bag with nothing missing. The jeweller was so happy that he gave the cabby a $10,000 cheque and a diamond bracelet.

Some people were calling the cabby a 'fool' for returning the diamonds which were worth way more than $10,000. I say, there are still some good people left in the world.

Faray said...

Bhaijan : LOL
Miss b. : HAHAHAHAHHAHA LOL..oh man..
Omair q.: THAT IS SO COOL, reminds me of a story from home, Not the same magnitude ofcourse lol who could beat 10,000 dollars..and a diamond bracelet, however, this summer when I went back home, I noticed that every car in Khobar (Small city in Dharan, Saudi Arabia) had "La ilaha illallah" underlined by a sword printed in the rear window, (the flag of Saudi Arabia is almost the same, except that its the entire kalmah) so almost every car I saw had this and I ask Asad bhai and Humna baji like whats up with all the flags..They go A few months ago this Prince was driving a REALLY REALLY cool car Like a Ferarri or porcha or something right and he was stuck in traffic (THIS is so often on the weekends - you get to see all these cool cars, its like The Car show) anyways yeah so the car infront of him had the "La ilaha illallah" in the back window, the Prince was so overcome with love and admiration for the person's "patritotism" or love for Islam or love for Allah :D I hope..that he got out of the car gave the guy infront of him the keys to his car and walked away.


My Reaction: So everyone's just copying that guy now? ..tHats SO SILLY!! HA HAAA HAA...


when are we putting that sticker up in our rear window? :D lol

Anonymous said...

Fariha: That is the most Saudi story I have heard yet.


Haala! Khuz miftaha al-habibee

Ozair said...

I would always choose to be the "fool" instead of being selfish.

I think that summarizes it well. I have always believed what goes around, comes around. So, maybe he drove home that night and got a traffic ticket :)

The prince story was nice, but the cabi story highlights an important fact, that wealth is not the most important thing in this world, so for someone to give up riches shows that happiness lies in a persons heart and the people he is around rather than in ones wallet.

Its good to hear stories of people returning wallets when found, I know how painful it can be to try and replace cards, I went through this pain when I had my wallet stolen from my jacket pocket on campus.

Yousra said...

I have always believed what goes around, comes around. So, maybe he drove home that night and got a traffic ticket :)
I think you need to start believing in the philosophy, "once a fool, always a fool!" ;)

Ok, I kid. I apologize in advance. Please take me shopping tomorrow. Ok bye.