Tuesday, December 6, 2005

What am I watching on television ?


I have this habit of not being able to eat without watching television or reading the newspaper. Each night I come home from work to eat, I flip through my usually sequence of channels:

30: TSN
22: Rogers Sportsnet
53: The Score
26: CBC Newsworld
33: CNN

Finally, if I still cannot find something decent to watch on television, I settle for

24: CP24.
At worst, I can stare at the news ticker to see the top headlines. However, this week I am in Boston, so my channel sequence has changed to the following:

ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN News
ESPN Classic
As you can tell, I am a huge sports fan, so there is usually something on television that I can always watch. Although, out of curiosity, I check to see what is on Fox news, and I am never disappointed as the propaganda machine is in high gear. Fox news is probably the most bias piece of news you will ever watch. Luckily, we here in Canada have a more objective network in the CBC. The passionate eye and the fifth estate are two shows that I watch on a regular basis. These shows take a deeper look into issues that affect us both locally and globally. Recently, the fifth estate got a lot of publicity for its investigative report on the lack of security in Toronto’s Pearson airport.

I am a news junkie (on top of a sports junkie), I like to keep myself updated on all of the news locally and around the world. A show that I have started to watch on a regular basis is The Hour. The Hour is hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos, whom many would know from his days at Much Music. George presents his show in-front of a live audience and covers issues in a manner that attracts a younger audience, challenging many current events with various viewpoints.

So, if your interested in the latest news and your looking for someone other than Peter Mansbridge to tell you the news, why don’t you block an hour in your schedule at 8:00 pm to watch The Hour.

8 comments:

Ali said...

I like The Hour too. When it first came on some time ago I was a little put off by it - it offended my sense of having my news delivered to me by suited, professional, middle-aged people (for the most part, although some news broadcasts like Global and CNN Headline News look more like fake living room chat at times).

Here was a guy with a nose stud sounding like he should be telling me what the number one track this week is rather than about the latest killings in Iraq. But I've grown to appreciate the show a lot more. It is just the kind of thing we need to get the younger crowd not just aware of important national and international issues, but to think critically about them.

The Hour and its host George S. get the AAA stamp: "Ali Ahmed Approved". (Those who know me know that this is hard to get.)

Din said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Din said...

Ali's stamp of Approval!!!

Wow I didnt even know that existed

:-)

Whuzza said...

If you like shows similar to the Fifth Estate or the Passionate Eye, you should check out Frontline on PBS.

It's about the only non-biased news source coming from the States. There's a series of shows on the private security contractors in Iraq, accessible through the web. It's well worth a look once you're done watching ESPN 1 to 8. :)

Ozair said...

Ali, I was initially put off too by the piercings. I thought why would I listen to this guy tell me the news, but I guess the saying "You should never judge a book by his cover" also applies here. This guy knows his stuff and knows how to deliver it well.

However, I cannot watch this show in front of my mom as she is disguted by any guy who has any type of piercing ... I usually here the "Yeh Admi Kya Bhanna" (Translation: Why does this guy choose to appear like that.) ... sorry, my urdu is extremely poor.

I have seen a few documentaries on PBS and have liked what I have seen. Although, I don't think that is enough to get me donate money to their network.

Ali, I think you should have a AAA (Ali's stamp of approval) end of the year awards ceremony where we can hear the rest of your AAA's. For example, 'Best Blog of the year' ... I think that is an obvious choice ... j/k

Mi55 Bear said...

Don't pretend you don't watch Martha! :)

Ali said...

Ozair, the AAA awards thing isn't a half-bad idea. If I weren't in this whole crazy law school thing I might actually have spent some time and effort researching some good blogs out there.

There's no reason why you or someone else can't do something similar though. Or, even better, you can pick out nominees for different categories and I can pick which ones win.

Alright, I think that officially classifies me as a blog-geek. Now if only I could be a law-geek too.

Yousra said...

Heeey, why is CP24 your last resort? CP24 rocks! And I got you into The Hour. Me! Give me some credit!!!

Dad is disgusted by George's piercings as well, I was forced to change the channel last night. :)