Sunday, January 8, 2006

Election talk


Election Day is quickly approaching us on January 23rd, and all you will hear now on television and radio until the election date are attacks on other party’s policies and promises that will likely be broken anyways.


Recently, I happened to stumble upon a debate between members of my riding. My initial reaction to watching a couple of these people debating was:

How did they become nominated to represent their party?
It was pretty obvious that some of these people have never run in an election. I don't want to sound too critical, but I doubt some of these people would be taken seriously in parliament if elected.

There was one person in this debate who caught my attention. During his closing argument, he read with his head down from a piece of paper. He started his speech off with a proclamation of
I love Canada!!!
As he finished off his speech, he pronounced youth as "gu-youth", rarely bringing his head up to look into the camera. I am by no means an expert on public speaking, but I know that reading from a piece of paper in a monotonic voice will not go over will your audience.

I am wondering how easy it is now to become nominated to run in an election for your local riding. In my riding, certain candidates have been appointed by the party leader without going through the party nomination process. Another candidate is a 24 year-old university student. It seems the party representative is irrelevant anyways, since most people vote for the party or party leader rather than the local party representative.

I have already decided whom I am voting for, since one candidate clearly stands out as a better choice. Discussing the election with other people, below is a list of what people have been telling me:

  • I want to vote Conservative but I don't like Stephen Harper.
  • The Liberals need to punished, and am not voting for them.
  • I am happy financially, and don't want change, therefore sticking with current government.
  • I want to vote NDP, but I don't want the Conservatives to win, so I will vote Liberal.

Whomever, you decide to vote for, make sure you vote. We are fortunate enough to live in a country where we can actually vote.

No comments: