Tuesday, March 28, 2006

For love or money

The recent surge in oil demand in the world has provided plenty of job opportunities in Alberta. This article in the Toronto Star provides evidence of this fact:
Alberta population increased at more than five times the national average during the last three months of 2005, as record numbers of people flocked to the booming province from other regions of Canada.
I consider myself fortunate to live and work within Toronto. It is the only place I have ever known. I remember during university co-op, I never applied to jobs outside of Canada nor Ontario. My preference was to work locally and be close to family and friends.

I wonder if people would consider moving to another city or country for a job. For example, a city like Fort McMurray, Alberta, participating in this boom is 6 hours north of Edmonton. It is unlikely you would have access to high-speed Internet or decent restaurants. You would get bored easily, even if you did just want to work there for a few years. For me, the value of living in a good city outweighs any other factors.

1 comment:

Yousra said...

Go home. Wait, you already ARE. :O