Friday, March 24, 2006

I am off the wagon


The Toronto Maple Leafs hopes of making the playoffs are very slim now with their loss last night to the Montreal Canadians. They are now 6 points out of the last playoff spot. The Leafs can still mathematically make the playoffs, but that would require them to win a majority of their last 13 games, which is unlikely since this team has trouble scoring, especially in even-strength situations.

I have been a hockey fan since the late 1980's and have followed every NHL playoff excluding the lockout year. I actually grew up a Montreal Canadians fan and not a Leafs fan, since the Leafs were awful during the 80's. It was during the early 1990's when I became a Leafs fan. If it wasn't for Mr. Gretzky and his magic during the 1993 playoffs, the Leafs would have made it to the Stanley cup final that year.

Unfortunately, I do not see any magic from the Leafs in the near future. Leafs management has not convinced me that they are willing to do what it takes to become champions. So, I have decided to jump off the band wagon (switch teams) and become a Montreal Canadians fan. I will still remain a Leafs fan, but they are now my #2 team.

So, this Saturday night as the Canadians play the Leafs, I shall cheer:
GO HABS GO!

3 comments:

saqibs85 said...

MAN i was going to post something about the leafs :@

omair quadri said...

You know, you may have something here. Look, the Leafs will NEVER win a Cup. The owners don't care whether they win a Cup either. No matter how good or bad the team is, every game will always sell out. So, the owners have no interest in spending that extra money to put up a winning team. This makes us Leaf fans just plain dumb. Maybe we have to start boycotting the team, stop going to games, buying merchandise, etc. Hit the owners where it hurts. Then maybe, just maybe, they'll get the message and start getting the players we need to win a Cup.

Ozair said...

Now that the NHL has a salary cap, the Leafs no longer have the advantage of being able to spend more money than other teams. A salary cap means fixed costs with even greater profits in the future.

The only way the Leafs will ever win is by having smart management. Their current GM is still unproven and it will be years until they become a respectable team.

With the Leafs loss on Saturday, it is pretty much over for the Leafs. I better improve my french, cause I will be watching a lot of Habs game on the french channel in the future.