Saturday, April 15, 2006

Coinage Optimizer

I consider myself a “coinage optimizer”, a definition that you won’t find on Wikipedia because it is a term I have made up, but a fitting term to describe the following characteristic of mine, that being:

“Change carrying hater”.

Whenever I make a cash purchase, I always try to give the cashier a cash amount that will return me the least amount of change. Recently, I had the following situation happen to me three times:

The cost of the items I purchased was something dollars and two cents, however, I only had something dollars and a penny.
Here are the results:

1) Starbucks: The cashier let me off the hook with a “don’t worry about it”.
2) Subway: The cashier said “no problem” but did not end up returning any change, while I was expecting something.
3) Target: The cashier was a stickler, almost giving me back $0.99 before I tried to negotiate a better coinage return.

I thought to myself, is it appropriate to ask such a favour? I am a simple law-abiding citizen who just doesn’t want to sit on an extra-heavy wallet filled with change. I ask you the people to be the judge or if you’re my friend, be a biased judge in my favour.

7 comments:

Whuzza said...

It's usually the opposite for me: if I have a few extra coins, I leave it in the tips jar for the barista. My guess is that the kid at the register can't cover those few cents or the computer would think that he/she's stealing from the till.

Ali said...

I always try to optimize the change I give/get. It was easy when a Tim Hortons double-double and a donut came up to an even $2. Not anymore. It adds up to the weird figure of $2.11. Here's something for Tim Hortons to think about - I eat far fewer donuts now than I used to if I don't have the right amount of change to give. And more so, I don't get Tim Hortons coffee as much as I used to either. So they might have raised their prices, but they're getting less business from at least this one customer.

Sadly, I end up spending much more at Starbucks now simply because they take debit and Tim Hortons doesn't, so I don't have to worry about not having the right change or getting a lot of change back.

Ozair said...

Whuzza, I have made the mistake of assuming that the tip jar was the "take a penny, leave a penny" and received deadly looks. Like, if someone is tipping you in pennies, that is problematic.

Ali, I can totally relate to your coinage catastrophe. Tim Horton’s is the only store that I use cash. Although, the recent price increase has helped me reduce the amount of coinage I receive, since the medium coffee is now $1.25 instead of $1.20. But, I think that is the only price that works out nicely.

Now, only if every place accepted Watcard, this coinage problem may have less of an influence on our life.

Anonymous said...

One time i took 2 pennies from the "take a penny leave a penny" jar. The cashier looked at me like I was taking 20's out from the register and said "I believe it says take A penny!!!!". I shrank away in fear.

Anonymous said...

i hate to hold up the line and count the change. And I'm bad at calculating the tax, so I never know how much i have to pay until i'm at the cashier. so yea, i give whatever coins i find.

Ozair said...

I can totally relate to these above mentioned situations.

The "take a penny, leave a penny jar" is more like a "leave a penny jar" for customers and "take a penny" for employees. Some cashiers who share my coinage hatred would take a penny from the jar to assist in reducing my coinage return, but If I dared to take a penny, I would be considered a cheapskate and not a coinage optimizer

I too end up in a situation where I hold up a line trying to get the right change combination, and then end up giving a change amount that ultimately comes back to me. Everyone in line would stare at me in disbelief at my inability to perform simple Math.

Anonymous said...

"Everyone in line would stare at me in disbelief at my inability to perform simple Math. "

LOL, that's so ME