Thursday, June 1, 2006

Why are things so complicated ...


I am one of those people who refuse to read documentation that accompanies consumer product or software. I believe that I am “smart” enough to figure out how things work without assistance. So, whenever I cannot figure out how something works, I conveniently blame the poor design of the product rather than myself.

This week, I become so frustrated when I could not figure out how to set the time on my alarm clock in the hotel room. How difficult can it be to design an alarm clock? It does two things: tells time and wakes you up. This annoyance caused a reflection of the many poor designs that I have experienced.
  • Trying to operate certain television remotes (in my house they are called converters), the button names and placement drive me crazy.
  • Finding a setting on your cell phone. I am still searching how to turn up the volume on my cell phone.
  • I once told my mom to return a toaster oven because toasting bread was too complicated.
I wish there was some sort of verbal-Google that I could use to read documentation for answers. I think one day I will eventually read documentation that accompanies products because it seems that I am not “smart” enough anymore for some of these products.

3 comments:

Ali said...

I hate reading manuals and documentation too. For today's busy lifestyles, things should be self-explanatory. No one has time to go through lengthy instructions and how-to's.

Anonymous said...

LOL, you guys sound JUS like my bro....oh wait, it'll prolly a guy to be so over-confident...hehehee..

got my new phone yesterday, and I plan to read the manual - prolly not cover to cover, but definately look up important things like "turning up the volume" :P

Golu said...

I notice how we get used to some ways too, I recently had to change phones, my newer phone has a 'Send' button where 'Enter' was for my older phone.

Its so annoying, everytime I try for a new line, it sends! and theres no way to stop it!