Wednesday, July 12, 2006

All you can eat


These days when eating out at a restaurant or family gathering, I am noticing that it is difficult for people to control their meal portions. When eating at "pricey"” restaurants, the portions that I get are too large for me to finish, it seems these restaurants purposely give you large portions to justify the cost of the meal. Furthermore, when eating in the United States, I find that the portions are sometimes twice the amount that I would usually get in Canada.

When trying to explain others my dietary restriction of Halal foods succinctly, I usually tell them that I am vegetation when I eat out. One would think it would be easier to eat healthier if your vegetarian, however, you will still find lots of calories in a salad, veggie burger, or pizza.


I also find that meals at a family gathering or weddings are quite often dominated by meat dishes. It is difficult to pass up on a portion of meat and people often sample all of the meat dishes. This result in you taking on more food than you normally would.


I remember this Simpson'’s episode in which Homer would not stop eating at an "All you can eat"” restaurant. The owners threw him out and Homer sued them because they would not let him continue to eat (classic Simpson episode).


It seems the standard for a quality meal includes an abudance of meat in large portions. I know if this was not the case, people would complain about their meal. I guess the old saying that "You do not know how good you got it until you don't have it" can be related here, however, I wonder if it is really that good for us, well I know Homer would like you to believe so.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Sometimes I don't understand people's obsession with meat. I'm no herbivore, but if the quantity of meat on my plate exceeds a certain level, I don't enjoy my meal. Meat is only good when it is in proportion to the rest of the food (rice, vegetables, bread, whatever) that you're having. Seen the latest BK commercials with the "quad burger" - four meat patties in a single burger? That's disgusting.

Yousra said...

Your comment is most true Ali, all of the excess meat left over on the plate when rice is completed is most annoying. I'm not a big fan of naan either, so using naan to finish the meat isn't a happy option.

Anonymous said...

I love food ...mmmm meat...mmmmm steak....mmmmm wings....mmmm ribs....mmmm sushi....maison du japon anyone? :P

Junaid said...

BBC reports of a real-life Homer Simpson here. Apparently, he ate so much he is being forced to retire!!!

"Gone are the days of unbridled consumption of idlies, halwa and buckets full of boiled rice."

Ozair said...

That dude is so Homer Simpson!