Monday, July 3, 2006

TV critic

I wish I had the time to write a thoughtful entry but like most people have been unable to find the time in-between work, weekend classes and the FIFA World cup. I even forget the current date until Canada day a few days ago. I had a few thoughts on my mind in the past few weeks to write about, but never got the chance to transfer my thoughts into a blog post. I wonder if I should start a podcast to fill in those empty days. To complement my blog, I shall call it A podcast about something.

Most of my thoughts have been centered around the FIFA World cup. I have been following the games quite adamantly for the past month. The British announcers calling these games are quite different than our North American counterparts. They are very dramatic in the language they use. For example,

Beckham scores ... oh!, this is a glorious moment for England. They must be dancing in the streets of London.

or
Here's Beckham and there's an authoritative strike by an authentic artist.

They should also avoid making conclusions about a game before it completes. Once a goal has been scored, the announcers make a swift judgment about the results of the game and potential matchups.

I am totally sick of all of the soccer commercials, especially the Rogers Wireless commercial about three kids who cannot get World cup tickets and then realize the best place to watch the World cup is where you friends are ... that is just loser talk.

Then there are the Jose + 10 and Budweiser (yes, bad, because its about beer) commercial that are quite creative. My favourite commercial to watch these days is the Future Shop commercial about the customer excited by the low prices. The employee responds that they save money by re-dubbing the commercial for each new sale. The enthusiasm showed by the customer is priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your odd...just enjoy the game....

Ali said...

I don't like the Budweiser commercial. It was fun to watch the first time, but it's really annoying now. I can see why it would still be appealing to the beer lovers though. Yeah and I agree the Rogers Wireless one is pretty lame.

The Adidas one is pretty good though. It's the same concept that's a winner every time: kid crazy about [insert sport] meets [insert sport player(s)] in local setting.

Anonymous said...

WOW, the british are so articulate. We could very well have a balaga discussion on it :)

Din said...

I actually like the British commentators.They maybe a bit over-witty at times but they have a better grasp of the game.

If you dont belive me then try watching a game with American commentery. Its truly pathetic.

:-)