Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ramadan Happenings

Tis the season of Ramadan and I have been collecting my thoughts for this month.

This Ramadan, Suhoor is later in the morning than past years, and I rarely get enough sleep because Tarawih ends late at night. There are always eventful happening at Tarawih as documented by Ali’s antics. Last week, after prayers finished, a man asked me where I went to groom my beard. After realizing the seriousness of the question, I responded that I shave and trim my beard myself. The man left and so did the awkwardness. However, I did feel flattered by the question. I work hard at grooming my beard and finally someone has noticed :)

Last week, I was in Dallas, Texas, where I went to Irving Mosque for Iftar and Tarawih. Irving Mosque is the largest mosque that I have seen in North America. The nicest perk about Tarawih at Irving mosque was the 4-rakaat tea break. People take a break for 10 minutes to get tea and rest. This idea is great; in-fact it should be extended to include more options such as: coffee, donuts, leftover iftar; the potential is endless.

Finally, I would like to end this post with a complaint. When praying you must stand shoulder to shoulder, when a spot opens up, a person must fill that spot. However, there are situations when there is no room and people are forcing themselves into a spot where they should not go. I always get volunteered to fit into a small spot and have to maneuver for positioning. It takes a prayer to re-establish my space, but then the "musical fill the spots" begin. Yes, I will fill the spots, but only if you give me acceptable space. Thank you.

4 comments:

omair quadri said...

You're welcome. But who exactly are you talking to? I doubt the people that you are talking about read this blog.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to agree with you on the beard issue ozair... even my noticed the clean grooming of your beard... so much so that she instructed me to shape my beard like yours... mashaAllah on your beard brother... may Allah grant us all the ability to groom our beards like yours... Ameen.

Anonymous said...

of course I meant *my mom noticed...

Ozair said...

I am not directing my "musical fill in the spots" rant at anyone, rather just venting my frustration to the blog community. I feel a lot better now after my vent.

Thanks for the "props" on the beard Anonymous. Your not so anonymous as we must have met at some gathering for your mom to have made the compliments.