Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Beijing

This year has probably been one of my most blessed years. I have been given the opportunity to travel to many great places in this world. I will now add Beijing, China to that list. I just spent a little over a week in Beijing, China, where I had a chance to visit many unique places, meet interesting people, and learn about Chinese life and culture. I planned on blogging in Beijing, but the higher-ups at the Chinese government decided to censor my blog, in-fact no blogs on blogspot were accessible. I have lots to talk about on my journey to Beijing, and will not mention it all in this post. So, watch out in the near future for posts on Bargaining in China, Muslims in China, and Driving in China. In the meantime, I shall leave you with my pictures and some interesting happenings during my trip.

  • Visited Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City or Palace Museum, Temple of heaven, Great Wall of China, and the Niujie mosque. Check out my pictures here.
  • My tour guide got a call from the Chinese government congratulating him on being single … LOL
  • Spitting is quite common with the locals.
  • The cars have the right-of-way in China, not legally, but if you want to survive.
  • Visited the Nuijie mosque, a blend of Islamic and Chinese traditions. It was built in 996 AD. Beijing is home to 250,000 Muslims, most of them living in the area near this mosque.
  • Bargaining is quite common in China. The sales people will do anything to get your attention. For example, “Hello sir, you are quite handsome”, “Here, loookay, loookay”.
  • Chinese people thought I was from India and were impressed that my English was so good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first met you and up until the beginning of this year... even *I* thought you were from India Ozair... I did... I truly did...

Din said...

oh Mashahallah.

Travelling is good.

That too China. Oh mashahlallah. Did you get gifts for the famooly?

Humairah Irfan said...

I really liked the pictures Ozair! :) [I know, I already emailed you about it!]
But it's awesome you got to experience all that.. including the washroom signs ;)

Hafsa said...

hold on, aren't you from india?

:)

Ozair said...

The Chinese folks thought I was Indian cause people from India are often doing business in China, I don't think they often come across people from Pakistan and have any idea of how a Pakistani looks like. Nevertheless, I'm surprised, some of ya'll thought I was Indian, for me atleast the only people from India I meet are from Hyderabad, and I don't think I look "Hydro".

I did get some "bargain designer goods" from China for my family, the exchange rate is pretty good ... 6 RMD for 1 CAD. Shopping is such a hassle because most places don't put prices on items and you have to bargain with the sales associate. I had to use my "mad bargaining skills".

Ozair said...

One clarification ... no I don't believe all Indian people, especially Muslims are from Hyderabad, it is just a simplistic generalization that I have.

Huma said...

Great pictures Ozair.. looks like you had a good time. Its nice to see the Muslim side of China.. I particularly liked the mosque.