Saturday, November 25, 2006

On the GO


A few weeks ago, I used the GO Train to commute into downtown Toronto. I had a few observations about the people and their habits when riding the GO.
  • The experienced GO train drivers know exactly where the train stops so that they are directly positioned in front of the door when it arrives.
  • The cooler or younger people always sit in the upstairs area of the train. It reminds of taking the school bus in elementary school, where all the cool kids (like me ;-)) would sit in the back of the bus and the not-so-cool kids would sit in the front. Interestingly, in China, everyone on the bus sat in the front of the bus.
  • There are the regular GO train riders who talk throughout the ride about every single occurrence of their day. Taking away from other riders any opportunity to get a quick nap or read a book.
Throughout all these observations, I do miss working downtown and not having to drive to work. I would take the GO train if it was possible for me. I do not like commuting at all, but I wonder if I did not have to drive, perhaps I could build some liking to commuting and even form my own GO train clique.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One observation I would add, from my commuting experience is the regulars get quite comfortable on the bus/train and attempt to get their odd chores done during the ride...like sewing on loose buttons of their coat.

Ozair said...

hmm ... I should probably pay special attention to those regulars and try to sneak in some of my chores. Thanks for the tip! ;-)

Hafsa said...

Are you planning to write a letter to GO as well? :D
-HT