Saturday, January 27, 2007

The opportunity

If there was one word that I could use to describe my Hajj experience, it would be patience.

patience pat-ience noun

The capacity of enduring hardship or inconvenience without complaint.

In-fact, the Arabs even have a hand gesture to represent the word, which people in North America may confuse with the "how much you want" hand gesture.



The Hajj patience was a quality that I lacked. I would complain about many things. When the food is not on time, the bus arrives late, air conditioning is too high, or heating is not high enough. However, I quickly learned that if I wanted to complete Hajj that I would need to develop the Hajj patience. So, what is the Hajj patience? well, consider the following:

  • In the apartments we stayed, the water would finish every two hours and the elevators did not work most of the time, so I always had to take the stairs to my 6th floor.
  • The government buses that transported pilgrims from Jeddah to Mecca, and Mecca to Medina would take at least five times the time it normally takes.
  • Our flight to and from Jeddah end-to-end took one day and a half.
I hope these incidents do not discourage one from going to Hajj because everyone will face trials. For each trail, you need the Hajj patience and understand the ultimate goal that you are there to do, which is completing the rituals of Hajj in a safe-manner.

There was one moment in my trip that stood out for me. I was sitting at the harem in Mecca waiting for the prayer to start. I greeted an elderly man sitting next to me and started a conversation (conversation actually occurred in Urdu).

Ozair: Is this your first Hajj?
Elderly man: Yes
Ozair: Did you come with your family?
Elderly man: Nope, my kids could only afford to send me. I have been awaiting my chance to go for Hajj
Ozair: Why?
Elderly man: In Pakistan, pilgrims wishing to perform Hajj are put into a lottery system, where names are drawn to select the people who will go.
Ozair: Oh wow, so Allah has invited you to his house this year.
Elderly man: Yes (man started to cry)
At that moment, I realized that Hajj is not only a trial, but an opportunity to have the chance to pray at the most sacred place for Muslims. This man waited patiently his whole life for this opportunity, I was fortunate enough to go the first year that I made the intention. I just hope that all Muslims, around the world have the opportunity that I did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mashaAllah, a very insightful post! and the story of the Pakistani uncle is touching...subhanAllah.

Ozair said...

Jazakallah for the kind words!... I hope everyone who intends to go does it when they are young, cause you will have an opportunity to experience a lot more.

Humairah Irfan said...

Definitely should go for Hajj when you're young!

It's so true..about being invited by Allah to perform Hajj: I was constantly reminded of that upon my return by all of my mother's friends who came to visit me.

Ozair said...

I agree Humairah .. I spoke to many people whom intended to go for Hajj and were unable to go for reasons outside their control ... we are all guests of Allah when performing Hajj.

Golu said...

Ozair! I know our conversation wasn't very religious or even remotely inspirational I deserve an honorable mention to say the least!

Hmm lemme remember..

Ozair: Asad! how are you doing! Guy, this whole Hajj experience reminds of when Homer...

Ozair said...

Asad, good to hear from you. Thanks for making me feel so bad ;-) ... I felt bad for not giving you a call again after Hajj and letting you know that I survived, at least you found out through my blog.

You forgot to add the line in our convo about my "Asslamulaikum" not being Saudi enough and that you knew that I just gave you a Canadian Asslamualikum ;-)

Man, I had some funny conversations during Hajj. Some guy started asking me Java programming questions after Maghrib prayers at the haraam in Mecca. I'm like "dude, I cannot believe we had that conversation here in the haraam"

Hope all is well with you, we should definitely catch up.