Sunday, February 11, 2007

Technology overload

I remember in 1999 when I created my first email address. It was not something that I was pressured into doing, nor was it popular at the time. As years passed, everyone I know has created an email address or two and checks them frequently throughout the day. Email has become the preferred way of communication at school or work. It has become so prevalent that the good old fashion phone call or face-to-face meeting is becoming less popular. Obviously, phone calls and face-to-face meeting still have their place, but aren't we using email more than we should?

How many times have you exchanged an email with a group of people attempting to resolve an issue, where each person responds with a short comment? If someone had picked up the phone and called the person directly involved, the situation would be resolved quicker.

At work, I am usually surprised when I get a voicemail or if someone calls me because it happens so infrequently. I rarely check voicemail either, I wonder if I should create a more interesting voicemail message, probably something as funny as George's voicemail from Seinfeld.

George's Answering Machine: "Believe it or not, George, isn't at home, please leave a mes-saaage at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the pho-one. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not hooome.
I wonder what would be George's out-of-office reply or vacation response, the email equivalent of voicemail.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A classic Seinfeld moment put to good use.

- Yousra
Punctuation Enthusiast

Hafsa said...

hahahhaa...that's a hilarious one. Believe it or not, its the first time I watched Seinfeld :$

omair quadri said...

I remember we used to sing that all the time in Waterloo. I even tried to record my own personal version on my voicemail... didn't quite work out.

Fun times.

Anonymous said...

heyy...I also created my first email address in 1999!

The great thing about email is that it provides a virtual place and time for meeting, which is seemingly efficient, because you can reply at your own time and place of convenience ... except when you really reply at your own convenience. Procrastinators and lazies (like myself)often take advantage of its latency and non-confrontational nature, thus turning around email efficiency. :(

Also, LOL at George's little dance and facial expressions to his message (the second time it plays)

Ozair said...

Agree on the virtuality of emails. In-fact, you can even hold meetings on your blog like I am finding out ... Some people I have only talked to recently on my blog .. its quite sad, I am a bad friend O:

I have seen so many people try the "George voicemail", but it aint ever funny. Even more annoying is the pretending your on the phone in your voicemail ... its funny the first time, the next time I want to leave a ... lets say "an unkind message".