Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Kids are funny

I had the opportunity last week to present a short presentation on Islam to a group of cub scouts in Toronto. The average age for the cub scouts was 9. I observed the actions of the kids before the presentation and they acted like typical 9 year-old kids. They would make funny faces and run around for no reason. I became skeptical about the ability of these kids to comprehend my talk and ask intelligent questions. However, during the presentation, I was amazed by the attentiveness and interest shown by the kids. I captured some of the questions asked during my talk for your pleasure followed by my reply.

  • After showing a picture of the pillars that are pelted during Hajj, a kid asks “What if you throw a rock and it hits someone else instead of the wall … are you sinned?”
    • Answer. Nope. It’s like if I threw a ball to you but hit your friend, is it my fault? Kid answers … I guess not.
  • Who invented Arabic?
    • Answer. Umm… God
  • I have a friend who is from Saudi Arabia.
    • Answer. That is great!
  • Why didn’t the people who traveled from Mecca to Medina use airplanes?
    • Answer. They traveled on camels through the desert instead since no airplanes were invented yet. ... the kids responded with "oh ... vvoooww"
  • Can you explain the problems in the Middle East between the Arabs and Jews.
    • Answer. It’s complicated.
Here is a link to my presentation.

4 comments:

Humairah Irfan said...

hahaha... cute!

Din said...

Ozair , your a superstar!

:-)

Hafsa said...

i like the way you handled the middle east issue :)

Ozair said...

I find it fascinating how kids think at that age, judging by their actions, they don't look mature. However, I found they were extremely intelligent, exceeding their maturity level at that age. It was a fun experience and very different than teaching in front of a group of computer programmers :)