Thursday, May 31, 2007

Incroyable!

I had an opportunity a few weeks ago to travel to Paris, France for a conference (Yes, I am extremely lucky and blessed). It was a bit awkward viewing the sites of the city since Paris is known as a romantic city and visiting sights individually, for some reason, did not feel as romantic ;-)



As always, I like to examine random items of interest rather than focus on the touristy things, so below are my highlights:

  • I had major language issues, my grade 9 French was insufficient. Communicating with someone where you don’t have a common language is funny, both parties end up speaking in their own language without progress.
  • The subway doors do not open automatically; I found this out the hard way.
  • Very diverse country, many people of African and Arab descent.
  • Smoking is quite common indoors and difficult to cope with especially coming from a city where public smoking is banned.
  • The listed price always includes taxes, and discounts are listed with negative signs, i.e. -20%.
  • The basement and ground floors are not labeled as B and G respectively in buildings or hotels. The French use 0 for the ground level and -1 for the basement. See explanation here.
  • The Swiss have their own check-in line when passing through immigration.
  • The exit sign … why is the guy running?
  • The public washrooms are typically not free, although the one below was free.

As always, you can check out my pictures here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Les photos sont fantastiques. Vous devriez vendre les photos de tour eiffel aux producteurs de carte. :)

Anonymous said...

*des cartes postales

syacoob said...

Maybe he's running cause it's an emergency exit?

Your pictures are beautiful though, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised they let you take pictures in the museum...or did they?

Ozair said...

Thanks all for the compliments on my pics.

I initially thought it was an emergency exit too, so I never followed the sign and went in circles until I realized it was the actual exit sign ... lol.

In the Louvre museum, your not allowed to take pics of paintings because the exposure from the light can cause wear and tear on the paintings, but you are allowed to take pics of other items, like statues.

Sumera, I can't find your blog anymore, did you take it down?

Anonymous said...

Sweeeet... especially liked that toyota one-seater you had in one of your pictures... for reference Ozair... where have your travels taken you over the last few years? (non-work included)... and what place do you wish you could visit over and over?

Ozair said...

Well, outside of the US and Canada, the places that I have visited are Sydney, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Paris, Mecca/Medina. The last one is the only non-work trip.

From a scenic perspective, I think Vancouver is the most beautiful place that I have seen. I wish I could visit Sydney again, its just soooo nice.

Best place that I have visited without a doubt is Mecca/Medina, there is no better experience you can have in your life than performing Hajj.