Thursday, May 17, 2007

Email hoaxes

In the early days of email, the majority of personal emails that I received were forwards containing funny jokes, chain letters, and spam. These days, I don’t receive many hoaxes, but after reading this article on the top 25 Web hoaxes, I had a flashback on some that I have received over my email lifetime. Below are my favs:
  • Forward this email and Bill Gates will give you money - example.
  • Help a wealthy foreigner in Nigeria to transfer money - example.
  • Your Hotmail account will close if you do not forward this to X amount of people - example.

The most common email hoax that you will find is a phishing attack, which is an email fraudulently claiming to be from a financial institution instructing you to click on a link for some reason (i.e. Keep your account open). The emails are well-crafted since they contain the official company header and email address. The email body contains a link to a URL from the financial institution, but if you hover over the link, you will notice that it is actually a URL to the spammer/hackers site. Most often curiosity takes over and people click those links, although I have never met anyone who admits to doing it until they call me to help them remove a virus from their computer ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol...my computer crashed but I swear I didn't click on any email hoax links. Mine crashed because the inside got too dusty :p

Ozair said...

hmm ... so I wonder if an email would tempt you to open your computer and clean its dust ;-)

Anonymous said...

One time (out of pure exam procastination) I removed all the keys from my key board and cleaned the dust out...I was unsucessful and putting them back by memory alone...

Anyway...I was looking forward to a Paris post! Come on! :)

Anonymous said...

Ozair... I need some help removing a virus from my PC... :P... I myself have done that removal-of-all-keyboard-key-from-keyboard thing a couple of times now... I follow that up by then actually unscrewing the top part of the keyboard... removing the rectangular keypad and then washing both plastic layers in soap and water... it cleans out more than just dust... especially if you, like me tended to eat all your meals at your PC at university... errm... maybe too much info?...

Ozair said...

LOL ... yeah too much info ;-) I think my work keyboard is need of some cleaning, I have lost count how many times I have dropped coffee on it ... I should try out your technique one of these days.

Humairah Irfan said...

You went to Paris????