Friday, September 16, 2005

The Advantages of Being a Whiner

After graduating from university, I like most desi people moved back home with my parents. Going back home this time also meant helping my parents with the daily expenses and bills.
So, one day I volunteered to purchase a new toaster oven, our old toaster oven had not been working for sometime. I purchased a toaster oven on sale from Canadian Tire for a decent price. One week later, my parents decided that they did not like this toaster oven , so they returned it and bought a significantly cheaper one without consulting me. I hated the toaster oven my parents purchased, I never quite understood how it worked.
Recently, this toaster oven stopped working, but was still under warranty. With all this built up anger, I decided to send the people at Black and Decker an email. Here it is:
My toaster is under warranty and would like a replacement. I have greatly disappointed in the performance of this toaster. It is not easy to use and its sudden failure has made it very frustrating to use. If possible, I would like to get another toaster oven of greater quality.
Your response to my request will factor into any future Black and Decker product purchases.
So, the result, within 2 days, I received a new toaster oven better than the previous one.


The key to a company complaint letter is to give the statement:
Your product stinks and if you don't help me, I will never buy your product.
The morals of this story are that if you whine enough and stern enough, you typically get what you want. Also, if you decide to purchase something without your parents consent, expect them to return it and buy something else while at the same time turning a profit ... living at home, living at home ... atleast my mom's fresh roti makes up for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, hey didnt that toaster oven come by to our house as a gift??

ahhh the recycle process.

Ozair said...

LOL, nah, we got a new toaster oven just yesterday, but don't be surprised if we decide to "re-gift" this toaster oven in the near future ;-)

omair quadri said...

Ozair..... tsk, tsk, tsk...... many grammatical errors in your letter to B&D :)