Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Look who is NOT talking

A reader of my blog told me that my posts are predictable, all involving a complaint about some life-experience and relating it to a Seinfeld moment. Initially, I disagreed, however, after some thought I realised there is some truth to his comment. Since my current blog title is an established “blog brand”, there will be no such name change and I will continue to complain and relate to Seinfeld. My latest experience involves cabby drivers.

Some time ago, I took a cab to the airport. I am typically in no mood to strike a long conversation with the cab driver. I will talk about the typical stuff, for example, gas prices, weather and traffic. However, my cab driver expects me to converse openly. As soon as I get in the car, the interrogation beings,

where you going? why you going?, where do you work?, etc…

To make matters worse, this cabby driver inserted a swear word into each sentence, I was shocked. Once I arrived at the airport and was about to enter the terminal, he wished me a safe trip and joked that I should participate in an inappropriate activity. I walked away in disgust and proclaimed never to use this taxi company again.

I am in no mood to give a full dissertation of my current life to a stranger. During my ride, I just want to stare out the car window and think about nothing. I recall a Seinfeld episode involving Elaine, who faked being deaf to avoid conversation. The following is a snippet of that conversation.

Driver: Dag Gavershole Plaza (sp?) huh? (Elaine ignores him) Pendant Publishing, that's books right? (Elaine is annoyed and still ignoring him) Miss?
Elaine: Pardon me?
Driver: Books, that's what you do?
Elaine: Yeah.
Driver: Yeah, I don't read much myself, (Elaine is annoyed) well you know besides the paper. Yeah a lot of people read to relax, but not me. You know what I do?
Elaine: You know I'm having a lot of trouble, um, hearing you back here. So...
Driver: (Yelling) I said you know what I do (Elaine is very annoyed) when I want to relax? The Jumble. Hey do you make a book of Jumbles?
Elaine: I'm going to have to be honest with you. I'm going deaf.

I will not resort to such measures, but I hope all my blog readers (probably the ones who have this blog on their RSS reader) understand mine and Elaine's pain.

8 comments:

omair quadri said...

I think you purposely get yourself into these situations just so you can relate it to Seinfeld.

Ali said...

Hey, I never said your blog is predictable, did I? I don't recall saying so.

I don't think I've had the same problem as yours, but if I found a cab driver to be chatty, I wouldn't mind conversing a little bit. It's like when you're at the barber's, you usually make small talk (although any excessive swearing would probably turn me off too).

Ozair said...

I do feel like I live a Seinfeld life ... somehow I end up with 3 other friends on a regalar basis at Starbucks discussing life problems, where one of us ends up telling their crazy theories.

Ali, during your blog analysis, you did say my blog entries always involve a complaint (usually South Asian) with Seinfeld comparison. Although, you being a lawyer guy would expect some legal proof ... my credibility would stand up in court ;-).

Whuzza said...

If it weren't for odd situations, you wouldn't have good stories to tell. I wouldn't even want to repeat what the taxi driver at Vegas said to us; swearing was the least offensive thing that he did. :)

Seriously, you should use a regular limo driver, like the one that Jeff and I uses. Our guy's never late, always polite and comes in with a clean comfortable Lincoln Town Car. I'm curious why you'd put up with the regular yellow cabs.

Anonymous said...

If you get bored of Seinfeld, you can always relate life's situations to a Simpsons line.

Ozair said...

I probably don't have a regular taxi driver because that situation never occured on Seinfeld, hence no potential excitement could occur in my life.

Sadly, I could probably relate almost everything to Seinfeld or Simpsons, which is probably a reflection of the amount of television I watched as a kid, which I bet most of us have, given the number of times these shows are shown on television.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know anyone in Seinfeld or Simpsons were taking Arabic Classes :P

-H

Ozair said...

LOL ... I would have to Muslimize my Seinfeld/Simpson character, add the prayers, halal meals, and ofcourse learning Arabic ;)